The μEncapsulator System is a complete system for high throughput encapsulation of individual cells into picolitre droplets. The flexibility of the system and the possibility to use your own reagents enables a range of applications and the development of your own single cell methods.
- High throughput: Encapsulation of 300,000 single cells in 15 min.
- Flexible open system: Full control of pressures and flow rates.
- High quality results: Doublet rate below 0.5 % and extremely monodisperse emulsion (CV <5%)
- Wide range of applications: Isolating antibody coding sequences, profiling natively paired TCRs, encapsulating cells in hydrogels, generation of double emulsions for FACS.
- Precise control: Accurate control of the temperature inside the complete cell path between 1°C to 100°C. Availability of flow sensor for different flow rate ranges enables precise control.
- Installation & training: The exceptional service includes onsite installation and training by our experienced applications team.
- Automation and integrated droplet analysis via PC software: Real time images of dropletization enables quality control of droplet formation and development of new protocols.
To encapsulate a sample, the user loads sample and reagent into the 100µl reservoirs, closes the module, and starts the program.
The droplets are collected in the built-in output reservoir. 200µl of reagent and sample, containing 300,000 cells, can be converted into 3 million droplets in 15 minutes.
Highly monodisperse droplets can be produced with precise control using the pressure pumps. The flow sensors provide real time display of micro-scale flow rate and pressure.
The entire cell path (reservoir, chip junction and collection) can be maintained at a set temperature (typically at 4°C for cells) with the TCU-100 temperature control unit. Droplet production can be monitored with the High Speed Camera and Microscope System.
The hardware can be controlled by the µEncapsulator 1 program in the Flow Control Centre software.
A μEncapsulator 1 system includes:
Hardware (μEncapsulator, 3 pressure pumps, 3 flow sensors, temperature controller, microscope and camera), control software (Flow Control Centre Advanced), accessories & consumables (chips, connectors, valves and pipes), reagents (emulsion oil) and installation & training.
- Material encapsulated: Cells, DNA, functionalized beads
- Monodispersity of droplets: Extremely monodisperse (CV <5%)
- Droplet diameter: 10 µm to 100 µm. Typically, for a given droplet chip, the droplet sizes achievable are the junction width ±25%
- Droplet volume: 1 pl – 500 pl
- Droplet types (dispersed phase): Aqueous (biological media)
- Oil types (dispersed phase): Typically a biocompatible fluorinated oil (such as HFE-7500 or FC-40) is used with a biocompatible surfactant such as Pico-SurfTM. However, the µEncapsulator System is compatible with virtually all oils and surfactants.
- Sample volume: 100 µl cell suspension + optional 100 µl reagent mix/bead suspension
- Pump pressure range: 0-10 bar
- Flow rate range: Dependent upon pressure and flow restriction but achievable rates from nl/min to ml/min
- Temperature range: Extremely accurate control of a fixed temperature from 1°C to 100°C, rapid temperature ramps or thermocycling.
- Droplet analysis frequency: Quantitative analysis of droplet size at low flow rates – typically below 1 kHz – and qualitative evaluation at production speeds of 2-15 kHz or higher, depending on droplet size
- Wetted materials: Glass, FEP, FKM
- Profiling natively paired T cell receptors
- Isolating monoclonal antibody coding sequences from blood samples
- Encapsulating samples for droplet PCR
- High throughput single cell expression profiling
- Encapsulation of cells in hydrogels, for culture, etc.